Back to overview
What is the role of pharmacists in the fight against antimicrobial resistance?
- Confirm antimicrobials are being used appropriately throughout the health system before filling prescriptions
- Learn about the important role of antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention and control programs in health systems.
- Inform patients about AMR and their role in combating its spread. For example, patients should complete their entire course of antibiotics as prescribed by their doctor
- Ensure that patients are aware antibiotics will not treat viral infections such as the common cold and flu
- Advise patients about the risks associated with antimicrobial therapy and use preventative measures such as vaccines when possible
- Educate patients on the safe, recommended methods for disposing or returning unused antimicrobial drugs