How can I stay safe while travelling?
No matter where you travel to, there are several general guidelines you should follow. For more specific advice and information visit our travel advice page.
- Make sure all vaccines are up to date
- Ask your health care professional if you could benefit from any vaccines specific to your destination country
- Always use safe sexual practices
- Maintain good hygiene; wash your hands often and especially prior to eating
- Learn about ways to treat and prevent common travel-associated illnesses such as travelers’ diarrhea
- Drink only bottled water
- Avoid eating street food, particularly meat; use your judgement; if a restaurant or food vendor looks unclean your safest option is to eat packaged foods or stick to restaurants that have clear health and safety standards
- Avoid eating meat in countries where antibiotics are still used incorrectly in animal husbandry
- If you become sick while on vacation or after returning home, make sure you seek medical attention and let your healthcare provider know what countries you have been travelling in